I decided to put the trees I dug up last year in the ground at our new house. This gave me a chance to show the root growth in one year, though only for 2 out of the 3 trees from last years post. The third tree was fine but was frozen into the ground when we sold our old house this winter, so it didn’t make the trip.
The Japanese maple grew pretty well in the colander and deceloped a nice root pad. I actually decided to experiment a bit and put it in a colander, and then in the ground so that it would grow unrestricted but also keep the roots contained a bit. We will see how it works out.
These pitch pines were planted in pure perlite last year and did pretty well. Back in the ground they go to grow.
All mulched in. I also planted my sorry looking procumbens from last falls bonsainut forum contest since it had so much die back. I hope to update in the future on these.
I dug up a few pitch pine seedlings on the cape this year, and they did quite well this summer. Roots are poking through the drain holes. They were potted up in pure perlite and I hope to get some good shots at repotting next year to show the success.
I was going to remove the wire from the twisted pitch pine seedling, but instead ended up leaving the large wire and twisting it a little more. The wire is biting in but I think in time the scar will go away fine.
I pulled some needles, took the wire off of the smaller branches, and tightened the spiral with a guy wire. I also cut the needles since they were so long. The tree has a good amount of viable buds so we shall see what it looks like in the spring.
The trees in general grew well through June, and I thought I would show a couple of quick before and afters.
I chopped this bougainvillea in May, and it started to bud out. The first picture is from the bonsai/baby/BBQ post and the second one is from today.
Next a couple of updates from digging pre-bonsai on Cape Cod. First a Japanese maple then a pitch pine I twisted.
Everything else is growing well too and I will update in due time.
Well this weekend I was down at the Cape for a birthday party, and since it was timed well I decided to dig up a few small prebonsai to grow out. You can’t beat free, especially with our second child on the way.
I have decided to start working with pitch pine more since I have access to them, and they seem to be underutilized as a species for bonsai. I was going to try and collect an larger one but I forgot to bring the large shovel.
The first tree I dug up was a Japanese maple I planted in the fall of 2011. Rabbits have been pruning it down to a stub annually over the last few years so it hasn’t be able to gain as much girth as I had hoped. Going to try the colander growing instead.
Next I dug up a couple of small pitch pines to grow out over the next few years. I planted these in 100% perlite since they had little to no roots. I’ve seen success online that others have had with collected material in perlite so I thought I’d try it myself. The problem with sandy Cape Cod soil is that the roots will run forever before they become feeder roots. The first one came out with nearly any roots at all.
I got decent roots with the next two. and decided to wire some movement into the smaller one for fun.
May try to get this taller one sometime too. I’ll probably take a shovel and trench around it so it can grow some feeder roots this year though.