I dug up a few pitch pine seedlings on the cape this year, and they did quite well this summer. Roots are poking through the drain holes. They were potted up in pure perlite and I hope to get some good shots at repotting next year to show the success.
I was going to remove the wire from the twisted pitch pine seedling, but instead ended up leaving the large wire and twisting it a little more. The wire is biting in but I think in time the scar will go away fine.
I pulled some needles, took the wire off of the smaller branches, and tightened the spiral with a guy wire. I also cut the needles since they were so long. The tree has a good amount of viable buds so we shall see what it looks like in the spring.