I thought it would be interesting to post the length of a few of the branches my Korean hornbeam has grown this year. It is also interesting that though there are so many sets of leaves, not much thickening has occurred at all. It makes me wonder how long it took to grow the trunk.
Looking very shaggy.
A few of the branches.
And a reminder of how it looked this spring after deciding to shorten it.
I have been meaning to get to this tree for a while and finally got the chance to work on it. It was overrun with weeds and superfluous branches. It also looks a little yellow so I’ll try and give it a good dose of fertilizer soon.
I got to work on the weeds first. While doing this I realized the maples roots were pushing to through the soil. This group needs a repot badly next spring.
The I got to work with a little cutback. The largest tree is looking good while the smaller tree still needs a lot of filling in. I also left sacrifice branches at the base of the trees to try and thicken them some more.
It’s been a little under a month since a little work I did on this ficus. It has filled in a bit so I did another cleanup. Our club is hosting its first show this September 20th at NE Bonsai so I wanted to see if this tree could pull it off. It’s nowhere near ready for exhibition but none of my trees are at the moment. I thought I’d share some pictures anyway.
I’ll see how it fills in this last bit of summer but it’s probably a year or two out from being shown at its full potential.