This update is going to feel very similar to a post I wrote in August, but I thought I would provide a few updated photos. The tree has regained vigor after a repot this spring into better soil. The tree was weak this spring after being attacked by a fungus, or maybe the beginning of root rot, the preceding fall.
After repotting into better soil.
The tree growing healthy until the middle of the summer.
After widening the shari.
And finding the possible front and angle.
The most recent picture after removing the wire and adding lime sulfur. I am hoping to start some more work on this next summer after I know it continues to get healthy. Some more branches need to be eliminated, but probably eliminated in stages to add interest to the jins. Maybe next year I can do another styling and start defining pads.
The next round of updates will be a couple of deciduous trees. Leaves have just started falling so I will need to do some cutback, and possibly a little wiring before those reviews are posted.
This tree doesn’t have a progression, as it was purchased in August of this year, but I though I’d share for logging purposes.
The tree as purchased, with a few different views.
And from the possible new front. I can’t wait to style this one, but I would like to study it for a while. It was also repotted this year so I may not style until 2015. I am thinking it would be cool to have as a workshop tree with a guest artist. I’m excited to see how it does next year.
This tree went through quite a lot of changes this year but I think I like the new design.
As purchased this past winter.
After initial styling. I was never happy with the result and searched for a new path throughout the year.
After some growth, I noticed the top died back. This prompted me to change the design.
Vigorous in the summer.
Second styling of the year.
And the tree after wiring.
This is how the season ends for this tree. I hope that the tree is vigorous next year and I can work on the ramification. I will also be repotting to try and get it down gradually into a suitable pot.
This bougainvillea was a gift I gave to my grandfather while visiting him last October. It came back into my care early this spring. I went ahead and chopped it back to start training it as a shohin.
As received this spring.
After the chop and wire.
Repotted and cut back this summer.
And the most recent picture. I have started feeding this with bougain, so hopefully, I will have a picture in bloom someday! I hope to develop the branch structure and aiming for a shallow wide canopy. This is still many years from being a good bonsai but this one has a special meaning to me.
Last year I did two end of year updates, separated by conifers and deciduous or tropicals. I’ve lightened the collection this year so I will break it down by some of the trees individually.
I’ll start with tropicals because their year is essentially done. Even though they grow all year round they slow way down during winters indoors. This ficus has gone through multiple changes this year including defoliations, wirings, and a repotting into a Belotta pot. We will start with a picture before any work was started.
After repotting and wiring.
Growth by middle of the summer.
And finally the most recent picture. I still plan on bringing in the foliage and getting more ramification. I think I may eliminate a branch or two on the non-cascading side of the tree. It’s still growing fairly well but I will probably let it go for the winter. I’m happy with the progress in a year and hopefully I can continue to refine the tree.