Now that I’ve provided an update on the conifers, I’ll now go through the growing season with my deciduous and tropical trees. Again, nothing even close to being a show tree but fun stuff to play around with.
First I’ll start with my Japanese Maple forest that I purchased in August of last year. It was repotted in March, just as the buds popped, in order to try and induce some vigor into the trees. When I bought it in August 2011, it was in disarray and needed some TLC. I was trying to get some buds to pop low and they did. Now a chop or airlayer is in play in the future. Or, I can keep working them as is. I’ll be cleaning this up at my next class in a few weeks.
As purchased in August 2011
After the repot in March
Leaves unfurling in March
The trees in June of this year
In the end of October
I like the movement in this angle of the largest tree, might need to be repositioned at some point
Next I thought it’d be fun to see how my jade cuttings have progressed this year. I basically had made some cuttings last summer and then this year I put them into a shallow pot for fun. They needed the repot, and have thrived this summer. I have chopped them once this summer and made more cuttings. The pot is silly small now but still fun to see the growth.
In January under the lights
After potting in February, as the leaves were getting shriveled I knew they needed to be repotted or they were goners
As they looked in June, I believe after a cutback
Growing well in July, getting the interest of my chocolate lab!
As they presently look
Comparing this picture to the February picture, you can see how much more the pot is full now
Next up is an update on my Grewia Caffra. I have to say, I love this species. It is easy to grow indoors under lights, and has provided my with beautiful blooms all year. I damaged it while wiring some movement into it this summer but it didn’t skip a beat, and has been cut back a few times. It’s due for another cutback when it is used to being under the lights again.
As it looked when purchased in March of this year
Outside and happy in May
I used electric tape to seal the wound made during wiring
Letting the first branch grow leggy to help thicken it, flowers at the tip
4 blooms at once in September
As it presently looks
An alternative angle
I thought I’d add a few pictures of future projects that I purchased a few weeks ago. I got two really good deals and I’m excited to start working on them. First, an Acer Palmatum that needs an airlayer next year but with good branching. And an awkward Arakawa with great bark.
New Japanese Maple addition
This tree needs some TLC, but I just love the bark
Well that pretty much sums up the year so far. There’s still some fall work to be done, but I’m happy with the way things have been going. Looking forward to next year’s update!