I thought I would update about how I winterized my trees this year. There have been a few casualties due to general neglect and stupidity. Basically any tropical I had that wasn’t a Portulacaria afra met it’s demise. I waited too long to get a proper plant light, and they got either too dry or too cold in the windowsill in the meantime. Lost some natal plum starters, a ficus kiki, among a few other starters. Nothing too nice so it was a good learning experience. I bought a 2ft. 4-bulb T5HO lamp for my tropicals now and it has been working great. The jades look happy, and I am saving up for a nicer starter tropical for me to work on. You’ll also notice that I am experimenting with starting from seed chineses elms, ficus banyan, and pink trumpet tree. So far one ficus has sprouted but has not survived.
For my outdoor trees, back in late November, I mulched them into bins. The bins we used for moving this year and I thought they were big enough for the trees. I cut the fronts off as well as drilled many holes in the bottom. I then filled the bottom with mulch, put the pots in, and mulched around the roots and sides. The japanese maple forest I think looks pretty good without it’s leaves and I am thinking about air-layering the biggest tree. The larch started losing it’s needles very late and I think that’s typical. I am not going to mulch it in because I think it is hardy enough in it’s larger nursery pot. After the tropicals all met their demise I was a little scared about how my Azalea Aikoku was fairing as it’s leaves got all crumpled and yellow. I thought that it may be due to the frost, and that was confirmed by someone on the bonsai forums. Settling in for the winter and cannot wait for the spring.